5 Ideal Beauty Detox Foods
March 1, 2023
March 1, 2023
It’s that time of year again. As we begin to come out of winter hibernation and get ready for spring, it's the perfect time to detox. Just in time to shed some layers of clothing this coming season, here are a few foods to include in your detox regimen:
1. Avocados are loaded with nutrients including 17 percent of your RDA of vitamin C and 10 percent of your RDA of vitamin E. Vitamin C helps your skin to be more resilient against UV rays and pollutants that can be damaging while vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin that prevents and treats various skin conditions like facial redness for example. Not to mention the healthy fats that keep your skin looking vibrant. Use avocados in salads, on sandwiches and even in smoothies.
2. Almonds provide your skin with clean protein during a detox as well as fibre, magnesium, and calcium. And just like avocados, they’re loaded with vitamin E. What’s more, they make detoxing less painful because they stabilize your blood sugar and keep you fuller longer. A handful of raw unsalted almonds makes a great mid-day snack.
3. Blueberries guard your skin against the DNA damage that can cause aging. And they contain the detoxifying phytonutrients called proanthocyanidins and they are loaded with skin-protecting antioxidants. You may want to buy them frozen in the winter, though, as they can be expensive. When used frozen, blueberries are great in smoothies and added to muffins.
4. Cabbage Cabbage is great for cleansing the liver. It also contains sulphur, which helps your body break down toxins as well as repair DNA damage that can cause aging. Add shredded cabbage to soups, stir-fry dishes and even salads.
5. Cranberries have powerful antiviral substances that keep you from getting sick as the seasons change. They’re also loaded with antioxidants that keep your skin looking vibrant. Dried cranberries can be eaten as a snack or added to salads, while fresh cranberries can be used in baking.
Love your skin by feeding it a wealth of healthy nutrients every day. Look for recipes to include these and other detox foods in your meals.
Written by Alyssa Rolnick, Co-Founder of Zax’s Original Products, Registered Dietitian and Mother of 3 active kids.