5 Natural Plant Extracts That Are Great For Your Skin
February 4, 2022
When used on the skin, natural fruit, botanical and herbal plant extracts are known to promote the growth of new skin cells, alleviate and hydrate dry skin, protect against the harsh effects of UV radiation, reduce the appearance of redness, irritation, hyperpigmentation, and improve the signs of aging.
An extract is a high concentration of an ingredient taken directly from the raw material through an extracting process. There are many plant-based extracts such as almond, vanilla, peppermint, ginger, and various citrus fruits to name a few that can be found in skincare products as they have been shown to be beneficial to the skin. Here are some natural extracts that we have found pack a powerful punch and can help treat common skincare ailments such as dark circles under the eye, darkspots, dry itchy skin and bruising.
Be careful when applying extracts directly to your skin. Rather look for skincare products that contain the type of plant extract ingredients that would be helpful for the skincare condition you'd like to treat. Let’s take a closer look at some of the natural extracts that can be found in some of our Zax's Original Creams.
1. Cucumber extract - Although cucumber slices can be applied to your eyes to reduce puffiness, using a more concentrated extract can be more effective at waking up tired eyes. It soothes and moisturizes under the eyes when under eye circles make you look less than vibrant. Reduce appearance of under eye circles with our Zax's Original Dark-Circle Eye Cream.
2. Tea tree oil extract - Tea tree oil extract contains natural anti-inflammatory properties, which help to reduce swelling, itching and redness. Also known for its essential oil properties that can neutralize the effect of insect bites and stings. It can also be found in cleansers because it opens clogged pores and removes bacteria from the skin’s surface, and shampoos to help with itchy scalps and dandruff. Find it in our Zax's Original Bug Bite & Itch Cream.
3. Pine bark extract - Pine bark extract has gained popularity as a dietary supplement for the skin. But it’s also used as a topical ingredient in facial moisturizers and when in higher concentrations, pine bark extract has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties and has been documented to be effective for various skin conditions including rosacea and improving skins texture due to scarring. Find it in our Zax's Original Scar Fading Cream and Facial Redness Cream too.
4. Arnica Montana Flower Extract - contains sesquiterpene lactones, which may assist in healing of bruises by: decreasing swelling, speeding blood re-absorption and decreasing pain. Speed healing of your bruises with our Zax's Original Bruise Cream.
5. Citrus Ushiu Peel Extract - Citrus ushiu peel has been clinically shown to have skin-lightening effects. This specific form of vitamin C inhibits melanin production which helps in lightening dark spots. Other citrus extracts such as lemon peel, grapefruit and orange can also be found in dark spot, age spot and liver spot treatments. Find skin brightening extracts in our Zax's Original Darkspot Cream.
Written by, Alyssa Rolnick, Co-Founder of Zax’s Original Products, Registered Dietitian and Mother of a very busy household.