How to Get That Subtle Glow in the Winter
November 29, 2022
November 29, 2022
The winter time can be so harsh on your skin. It can make your skin pale, ruddy, and dry. But you don’t have to take a vacation or travel to a hot destination to get a subtle glow on your face during the winter time. If you’re feeling a bit washed out and blah, take a few steps to bring vibrancy back to your skin.
1. Keep your skin looking young. Make sure your skin looks its youngest by exfoliating at least once per week. This removes the dead skin cells and brings your youngest skin to the surface. Consider switching your cleanser to a creamy one which will be more hydrating.
2. Moisturize your skin. Make sure you’re properly moisturizing your skin. In the dry cooler months, switch to a thicker moisturizer for your face and body too. If you notice your skin looking dry and dull, moisturize twice daily.
3. Wash with lukewarm water. While it may be tempting to warm up by soaking in hot water, it’s hard on your skin. Lukewarm water is a great way to warm up without depleting your skin of its natural essential oils which help produce a natural glow to your skin. Resist the urge to turn the heat up and avoid soaking for too long in a shower or bath or washing your face with water that is too hot.
4. Humidify. Dry winter air also depletes your skin of moisture. The best way to combat the dry air is to add moisture back into the air with a humidifier. This way you’re less likely to wake up with dry skin, hair, and chapped lips. Keep one going next to your bed at night on a low setting.
5. Consider a bronzer. A subtle bronzer is a great tool in the winter time. Apply your brush stroke just below your cheek bone. The key here is subtly--don’t overdo it or your skin will look yellow and it will be obvious. You can also include a little blush to the apple of your cheeks and highlighter on your upper cheekbone. Additionally, to add vibrancy, tip your head over and count to 20. This allows the blood to rush to your head, making your skin look flushed.
6. Consider bright nails. Brighten your entire complexion with bright finger nails. Vivid nails brighten your complexion in the same way that a bright sweater does.
7. Keep active to boost your natural radiance. Exercise helps delivery oxygen and nutrients to your skin and improves collagen production which helps keep your skin glowing and healthy.
Just a few steps can add a subtle glow to your skin, even when it's cold outside.
Written by Alyssa Rolnick, Co-Founder of Zax’s Original Products, Registered Dietitian and Mother of 3 active kids.