It’s Time For a Total Skin Detox
August 20, 2023
Sometimes you can just feel it. Build up on your skin is weighing you down. Maybe you forgot to take your makeup off the night before or maybe you’ve been wearing more makeup than usual for one reason or another. Perhaps you’ve just been a little lax in your beauty routine. Not to worry, all you need is a total skin "detox" to help your skin feel fresh and clear. It’s a pretty simple process, here’s how it goes:
1. Wash your face (twice). That’s right. Wash your face once to remove debris or makeup built up from the week and then wash your skin again to get your basic cleanse in. This isn’t something you want to do all the time because it might dry out your skin, just once in a while.
2. Use a toner. This will removes any more traces of dirt, grime and impurities stuck in your pores.
3. Steam Pull junk out of your pores with a little steam clean. Take a wash cloth and soak it with very warm water. Ring it out and then place over your face, relax under the warm washcloth until it cools back down.
4. Apply a mask. Dehydrated, dull skin is more likely to show fine lines and wrinkles. Look for a face mask based on your skincare needs - are you suffering from acne or does your skin need moisture? Make sure to choose one made with natural ingredients or make one yourself!
5. Moisturize. As you pull toxins from your skin, make sure you protect it with a layer of moisture. Choose a high quality moisturizer made with natural ingredients to replenish and rehydrate your skin.
6. Take a break from makeup. It’s a good idea to give your skin a good detox from makeup every so often because even though it brightens your features and adds colour to your complexion, it is clogging to your skin and pores. Face makeup, especially those with SPF built in, can block oxygen from flowing in and out of your pores. Taking a break gives your skin some time to rebalance and replenish it's natural moisture.
Your skin deals with environmental damage daily, so take the time now and then to do a deep facial cleanse and "detox" your skin. It's a great way to improve your skin health.
Contributing writer, Sara Novak