Treating summertime wounds with natural ingredients can be effective and gentler on the skin compared to some products made with harsh chemicals. Here are some natural ingredients and remedies you can try for common summertime wounds:
- Aloe Vera: Apply fresh aloe vera gel directly to the sunburned area to soothe and moisturize the skin.
- Cucumber: Slice chilled cucumber and place the slices on the affected area for cooling relief.
- Coconut Oil: Gently apply coconut oil to sunburned skin to provide moisture and promote healing.
Minor Cuts and Scrapes:
- Vitamin E: Apply pure Vitamin E Oil to the injured area. It's one of the best known natural remedies for scars. It's thought to increase the formulation of collagen, improving skin texture and strength.
- Aloe: Apply fresh aloe to your cuts and scrapes. It's known for its ability to regenerate tissue while fighting inflammation and moisturizing the skin.
- Calendula: Use cream or ointments made with calendula to soothe and heal minor cuts and scrapes.
Try Zax's Original Scar Cream to heal minor cuts and scrapes quickly. Make sure to apply once scabbing has occurred.
Insect Bites and Stings:
Poison Ivy/Oak Rashes:
- Honey: Apply a small amount of honey directly to the insect bite to reduce itching and inflammation.
- Tea Tree Oil: This essential oil contains natural anti-inflammatory properties, which help to reduce swelling, itching and redness. Place a small amount of tea tree oil directly on the bite for soothing relief.
Colloidal Oatmeal: Mix ground oatmeal with a little water to form a paste and apply it to the affected area to relieve itching. Oatmeal binds to your skin and makes a protective barrier to help stop the itch and protect the skin.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Dabbing diluted apple cider vinegar on the rash can help dry it out and reduce itching.
- Oatmeal: Make an oatmeal paste with water and apply it to the rash for its anti-inflammatory effects.
- Witch Hazel: Soak a cotton ball in witch hazel and apply it to the affected area to relieve itching and inflammation.
Try Zax's Original Bug Bite & Itch Cream made with the most effective natural ingredients to help you feel better in no time from insect bites and stings to irritations and rashes from poison ivy/oak/sumac.
Try Zax's Original Bruise Cream to heal your bruises quickly and reduce pain and swelling associated with bruising.
Remember to consult with a healthcare professional if the wound is severe, shows signs of infection, or doesn't improve with natural remedies. Additionally, be cautious and ensure you're not allergic to any of the natural ingredients before using them on your skin.
Written by Alyssa Rolnick, Co-Founder of Zax’s Original Products, Registered Dietitian and Mother of 3 active kids.